Sunday, October 6, 2013

Turkey Minestrone: the I'm-out-of-veggies version

Turkey Minestrone: the I'm-out-of-veggies version

Just made up this recipe tonight, and since it turned out pretty tasty, I thought I'd write it down for another time. Really it's pretty quick, because of the frozen, canned, and dried ingredients (don't judge) ;)
Would have added more veggies (like green beans, shredded carrots, or zucchini) if I had them on hand, but I didn't. Maybe I'll try adding the first two next time, but it's pretty good without as well.

Sorry that I'm still too lazy to make my photos all super-apetizing and pinteresty.
1 lb roll of ground turkey
Onion (1/2 small?), fresh garlic or garlic powder/salt to taste
Italian herbs, lemon pepper
2 cans tomatoes (petite diced)
~1 can chicken broth (keep another ready if you want it later)
1 can garbanzo beans/chickpeas
1 can white beans (cannelini)
~3/4 cup frozen spinach?  less or more according to your preference
~1 cup (maybe less) small pasta, like mini shells
~2 cups water and/or broth
(even better if you have "caldo de tomate" boullion)
Fresh basil?

Fry the turkey in the pan, adding a little onion, garlic, and other seasonings (I used mainly Italian herbs and lemon pepper).  Once cooked through, add the tomatoes and chicken broth. drain the beans somewhat and add them as the soup heats up, as well as the spinach. Take a taste of the broth and adjust accordingly (remember noodles will suck up some water and concentrate the flavor a little). When satisfied, add the pasta (last 10-ish minutes of cooking).
Once the pasta is cooked, observe and taste again. If it's too thick and stew like for you, add the water or broth or mix of both. I used water with half a cube of Tomato boullion (one of my go-to favorites from the Mexican food section).  Add extra seasonings as needed, I also added a little fresh basil.

.....Aaaand that's pretty much it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment