Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Mexico 2007 Day 2: Un Dia Normal

(The day’s journal entry, with a few more current notes from me.)

Today I hung out with the kids, including lunch, dinner, classes, taking a walk, the playground, bicicletas, ‘carry me,’ you know the stuff. I helped in the garden some too, and saw the chickens, pigs, cows, and horses.

Sundown, I said ‘Hasta mañana’ and walked my very dusty sandal-clad feet to the shower. Turn the knobs, a little stream comes out of the head (pipe, really, the shower head itself is missing, I would find out why later on)—strong and all, but not as thick as my pinky. That’s it? Alright, cool, this works… quick shower and buenas noches, back to my trailer with Isba. The women have devos at 5 AM tomorrow, which I don’t have to go to, but I think I’ll try. We go to the beach tomorrow, then besides class and meals I assume I’m on my own. Basically, only God knows what tomorrow holds. I can’t wait…

It was strange to have very little direction of what I was supposed to do each day. I generally spent time with the kids, familiarized myself with the property, and made whatever small steps I could to get to know the women. The kids are pretty quick to accept a new playmate, especially the young American groups from whom they know they can get endless piggy backs and swing-pushes… I would eventually decide to do my best to have fun with them, while still trying to distance myself from their general expectations of an Americana. My desire, instead, was to fit in as much as I could as one of them. Of course, with my height, blonde hair, blue eyes, and dislike for onions and chili (chili peppers or powder) my chances were kinda shot. But, a "gringa" does what she can do. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment