Monday, May 10, 2010

Over the Atlantic



And so we head to Albania!

It will be a trip of firsts. Right now is my first big international flight, and naturally I'm enthralled by the experience. Others not so much, but I'm always so.Our flight is a bit delayed due to some volcano activity in Iceland. We're about to take off, just about dusk. I'm about dead center near the rear of the plane, 47F, but I can still lean a bit and see out the windows.
So for exciting things (which may in fact be mundane to others):
  1. The plane is huge--double decker cabin and the seats are 3-4-3 across... pretty tall cabin too.
  2. People from many different places speaking different languages.
  3. Yay for British Airways flight attendants (many male) and captains with British accents and funny mannerisms!
  4. Goody bag! headphones, socks?, and a travel toothbrush with a tiny little toothpaste tube (I warned you. Mundane to most.).
  5. Little personal TV. I watched "The Middle."
The first ever stamp in my passport was in London at Heathrow. We went by bus to Gatwick airport--not much through the city, more the country, but it was pretty and green, treesy (I am just realizing this might not be a word), with a cloudy gray chilled sky.
The food on the flight to Tirana is definitely not as good (although at least I didn't almost throw up on my neighbor this time...;) ). I'm guessing it's probably British. ;) Goodbye to the funny-shaped cars with yellow license plates going the wrong way on the roads... ;)
I need Dad or Scott here to finish my food. The guy next to me finished his mysterious Scottish fruitcake happily. Apart from the rest of the group, I silently held up my "cheddar onion chutney wrap" to Stephen, motioning to offer it to the rest of the group. He grinned and held up three of their own that hadn't been eaten either... Fair. :P

Below us now in the hazy dark are the lights of Tirana. The cars are slow and the lights on our plane's wings seem brighter than those in the dimly lit city.
Hello, new friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment