Thursday, June 10, 2010

A lighthearted evening

Thursday, June 10

Now I hate to say exactly that this evening was particularly delightful because I spent a good part of it on my own (apart from the other Americans, that is)... but it was. ;) I love the group, but there is a certain freedom to independence as well.
Today while walking to lunch, as God would have it we (Mitchell & I) bumped into Erisa. I was glad for this and we set up coffee for tonight at 6:30.
Time passed so slowly today, & the humid heat wore on us (but at least we took refuge for some time in the cool, dark chapel room). But finally my near-last class came, and was fine...Tomorrow I think we'll go out to celebrate the end. So Erisa and I greeted each other excitedly and went out to sit at the coffee bar (kakao for me, Albanian hot cocoa... yum!). She has taken to what she calls "American style" goodbye, which is in reality a mix of Albanian and American--in which we do the typical American one-arm side-hug, but because of our confusion it still has the cheek-touch remnant. It makes me happy that Albanians find our less affectionate greetings confusing. Some Americans may find the level of affection displayed here to be awkward, but I think it is lovely. I am sure I will miss it at home.
Laura and I bought Erisa an Albanian Bible the other day, but I chose to wait to give it to her 'til Laura was with us. For now, we chatted animatedly and took turns catching up about our week so far. She is very busy with difficult exams and papers, as most students here are right now. She has a 50 page paper to write (single-space, I think). Yikes! I told her about the church picnic, our spirited volleyball games at the park, and the crazy pony that tried to bite Mariah. I really enjoy Erisa, and she really seems to enjoy us (and a free moment from study).
She says she enjoys church, and asked me for a small English Bible to keep in her purse--I gave her a little Guideon Bible that Eva Turmezei had given me. She showed me a little card with Italian writing, a Catholic picture of Jesus she has kept in her wallet for years. "Perhaps it brings me good fortune," she shrugged. We talked a little more about these things and I asked about her background with church and religion, etc. She knows some things about the Bible. I pray that the little Bible we have for her will give her opportunity to know more!
I enjoyed my walk home alone, stopping for postcards (and making a fool out of myself trying to ask something about money) and enjoying the sights of the city as the day finally cooled off and the sun went down.

No comments:

Post a Comment